Sunday, November 16, 2008

Why Not?



“But why not, Mummy, I just don’t get why not!”

“I’ve explained this to you over and over and over! You’re just not ready!”


“But I feel ready, Mummy, really I do!”

“Well there’s more to it than that, it’s not only a question of being ready, you have to be prepared to take on responsibility.”

“I do Mummy, I do take on responsibility! I do all that stupid stuff you ask me to do. I even do all the stuff you don’t want to do yourself. It’s just not fair!”

“Son, it’s not about being fair. It’s about it being the right time. It wouldn’t be right for me to give you more than you are able to handle. It’s simply not the right time yet.”

“But why Mummy? Why isn’t it the right time? And how will I even know when it is the right time?”


“You will know when it’s the right time because I will tell you. That’s what mother’s are for. They are there to make those really hard decisions for you, so you don’t make any foolish mistakes.”

“Well I still don’t really get it. I would think you would be tired of it after all these years Mummy. Don’t you ever get tired of it all?”

“Yes, of course, I am weary of the crushing responsibility of it all, but it seems worse to pass it on to you.”

“Oh I wouldn’t mind. Really I wouldn’t. It would make things easier for you – I could do all the big important stuff, and you could just take it easy.”

“No, no! I am pretty certain I won’t need to burden you with any of this for at least another twenty years. You’re better off the way things are right now, my dear.”

“If you say so, Mummy. But I really think that I would like to take a stab at having a job before I retire. Even if it’s just for a week or two while you are on vacation.”

“Silly Charles! How young you still are. Now go round up the Corgis. I’ll let you take them for a walk. You can think of it as your first step towards official office.”


No comments:

Post a Comment